Accessing Mental Health care in Ontario can be confusing. If you are you concerned about your mental health, or concerned for somebody you know, we have you covered. It can be really hard to know where to begin but it doesn’t have to be. 

Here are the ABC’s of getting mental health support in Ontario

  1. The best place to start is to talk with your family doctor or nurse practitioner so that they can evaluate your or your loved one’s situation and get a referral.
  2. If visiting a family doctor isn’t an option, there are other steps that you can take to get the help you or your loved one needs:
    • Walk-in to any hospital: CAMH, North York Gen, Scarborough Gen, Humber River, etc.
    • Downtown core: Inner City Health Teams, serves anyone who has experienced homelessness/precarious housing/shelter experience, bookings begin June-July | City wide: Inner City Associates
    • If non-violent:
      • Gerstein Center’s Mobile Crisis Team can come through if they’re in the downtown core: 416 929 5200
      • Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-000 is a free and confidential service where you can speak with a registered nurse who can help you with health concerns including depression and other mental health challenges
      • ConnexContario 1-866-531-2600 is a 24/7 service that can provide you with mental health treatment information
    • If violent, the Mobile Crisis Intervention Team is a MH police response accompanied by a MH nurse (be very clear on what you say on the phone with them)

OHIP Covered Options (No cost therapy)

Option One

  • If you have a family doctor or physician that you feel comfortable talking to, you can let them know how you have been feeling. You can also check out this website for more information about finding a family doctor or nurse practitioner.
  • Your family physician or nurse may be able to give you treatment
  • Or you may get referral to a psychiatrist instead
Option Two

  •  Another option is to visit a public institution and then receive individual counselling or join a support group
Option Three

  • You could also visit an occupational therapist trained in psychology. You can use this website to find one. You can then pursue public care


Not OHIP Covered ($$$)

Option One

  • You could also visit an occupational therapist trained in psychology. You can use this website to find one.
  • You can then pursue private care
Option Two

  • In Ontario, you also have the option of visiting a private practice and then receiving care from a social worker. You can find a social worker near you from this website.
  • You can alternatively receive individual counselling from the private practice.



Find a Family Doctor or Nurse Practitioner, Ontario

Register for Health Care Connect and be matched with a Doctor in your area, click here.

Mental Health Directory of Ethiopian and Eritrean Therapists and Psychiatrists in Canada. 


Leave a Reply